Thursday, March 22, 2007

Hollywood Strikes again

Today I read something that I just had to rant about.  New Line Cinema feels this need to do a remake of "Escape From New York".  You know, the great John Carpenter movie that helped Kurt Russel shed his Disney good boy image.   There is no other Snake Plisken than Kurt.  Period.  They are casting Gerard Butler from "300" as Snake.  No.  There is no need to remake that (or pretty much any) movie.  Remember the days when a "classic" film was a "classic"???  Now there is no such thing as you will have a choice between the original or the updated "hip" version.  It's also looking like my least favorite TV Genre is dying; Reality TV.  Yep.  Survivor has one year left, no one watches Big Brother anymore.  We've had no more versions of the Bachelor or Bachelorette.  The Apprentice has been tanking in the ratings...all in all a good thing.  The Serialized drama is the big thing now, and of all the ones (I believe a dozen) that started this Fall, only two remain:  Heroes and Jericho.   Now I've said before just how awesome Heroes is.  It's the kind of show that is so good, that you don't have to like Superheroes or comics to get into it.  Jericho on the other hand has reached it's "I ain't watching this anymore" level with me.  It started out good, but every episode after that had me screaming at the idiots on the show.  Your Country's been nuked.  You wouldn't be sitting around a bar playing pool and drinking, nor would you be safe.  Folks would load their guns and shoot to kill.  The stupid bitty running the General Store in town wouldn't expect people to pay her, she'd lock her doors and defend herself.  The Mayor would have mobilized the town, and deputized everyone and declared martial law.  All food would have been rationed as would have water.  Too bad guys, but the show is degenerating into the same old stupid Hollywood crap.  Too much focus on the love story and not enough survival.  It's become a chore to watch and that's when I stop.  Ask my buddy Mike about my take on Enterprise.

No comments: