Thursday, December 13, 2007

Tipping During the Holidays

I once saw taped to a tip jar in a Deli the following: Tipping is not a city in China. Humorous, but really doesn't make me want to put a dollar in the jar. Lately I have been hearing about the act of Tipping people you normally wouldn't tip during the Holidays. I'm confused by this. How long exactly has this been going on? I know you tip Wait Staff at restaurants because their employers use tips as an excuse to pay them less. Nice huh? Probably why your service is crappy alot. They are getting paid shit so they take it out on you. I tip the Pizza Delivery guy because I know they don't reimburse him for gas. I also tip the person (whomever that is at the time) that cuts my hair. What I don't understand is all these ettiquette gurus telling you to tip the Garbageman and the Postal Carrier? WTF???? If I remember correctly Garbage folks are Union employees which means they make a crapload more than I do. They should tip me. Why should I tip someone who is doing a job I pay a fee for. I pay Waste Management 60 bucks quarterly to come and pick up my garbage. Yes I can haul it off to our local dump for free, but I don't relish putting a bag of stinky food garbage in my car.........wood, cardboard, papers...okay but waste food and cat waste???? Don't think so. Garbage guys don't even do any work any more; the truck does if for them. They pull up to the can, lower a hydraulic arm which hooks onto that metal bar on the front of the can. The hydraulic arm lifts the can and dumps it into the truck. They don't even have to get out as the position of the can when it's being tilted towards the truck causes the lid to open. I'm supposed to tip these clowns???? The Postal Carrier is another one. A. Federal Employees aren't supposed to accept gifts. By Tipping your Postal Carrier, you are putting them in an Ethical quandry. B. As previously mentioned the Postal Carrier is a Federal Employee. You know, your tax dollars pay their salary which is a good one. Oh yeah, and your tax dollars pay for them to have Government Benefits (which is ironic....my taxes pay for the mailman to have Medical, but I can't afford it at my work because it's too damn expensive...). Explain why these people need more money? Then these ettiquette folks say to tip your kids coaches and teachers......What???????? Why? Someone please tell me why? I used to give the toll taker at the Bay Bridge a Candy Cane the week of Christmas because that job sucks. They are State Employees who have to breathe in car exhaust all day long. Nice....they deserve a Candy Cane. I can see giving your Cleaning Lady a bonus....all Employers should give their employees Christmas Bonuses (hint hint powers that be at my office). Especially if it's the same lady all the time. It's like if she was a live in maid....or butler.......

No comments: