Monday, April 14, 2008

300th Entry

I've finally reached my 300th entry.....woo hoo.....and here it is:

There's apparently a push in my Homestate of Cali to start charging a quarter a bag for groceries bagged in plastic. You know the EVIL plastic bags that they forced on us years ago because of those EVIL paper bags that were killing all the trees.......actually now most paper grocery bags are recycled paper so why we don't use them is beyond me...(oh wait....because the plastic one's are cheaper!!!!). I'm really getting sick of this whole "green" movement....it's becomming an excuse for unsavory types who don't give a shiat about the environment to make a profit off the sheep. They sell these "enviro" reusuable bags which are made of canvas woven with plastic to make them waterproof and have a plastic flip down stablizer thing to make the bottom of the bag flat plus have printing on the (plastic in the ink) and are stiched with plastic coated thread. And you are supposed to bring these into the store with you (at what 2 bucks a bag or something like that) and sometimes the store will give you a dime or so off of each one you use.....of course you aren't saving much money because you are still getting charged for those plastic bags you aren't using (it's in the cost of the food and other crap you are buying......). So the store pays what a nickel or so for those bags? They add the cost of that to the price of items in the store. They may give you a dime back for every reusable bag you bring in......guess what....still not saving money......you are really getting a nickel back for every bag you bring in....but you still are taxed and you still are paying for the plastic bags that I love so much. Seriously, I'm staring at a Kroger bag on my desk right now. I took my lunch in it to work today. When I go home, I will probably scoop cat shit into it and put it in the trash. Can I do that with a reusable grocery bag??? No. What I'd have to do then is to buy more plastic garbage bags instead of recycling ones that I've gotten from the store. Either give me paper bags back or STFU. Why should we have to pay more for something that the stores forced on us to begin with??? I liked paper bags, I used them pretty much for what I use plastic bags for today.....waste basket liners and cat poop receptacles. Heck we used to use them for cheap book covers for school. I agree we need to work on being nicer to the planet, but this whole reusable bag thing is a crock. Think about it. The majority of the items you buy come in some kind of plastic container/packaging. Your bread is wrapped in plastic. There is a plastic film securely covering your meat....which is also on a styrofoam base. Plastic milk jugs, styrofoam egg cartons, plastic packaging for your cheese, deli meats. Yeah you are really saving the environment there Eco Warrior. That's like Jane Soccer Mom driving her SUV to the grocery store but feeling so good about herself because she "brought her own bags....I'm such a Green person Marge...look at me!!!" Yeah you may be keeping your plastic grocery bags out of the landfill, but all that plastic crap that you throw into your big plastic kitchen garbage bag ends up there anyway.

No comments: