Thursday, July 06, 2006

Grammar and Spelling: The Scourge of America's Youth

The internet has been blamed for many things, but the thing I see it being blamed for the most is bad Grammar and horrible spelling. I belong to a few messageboards, and I've chatted in many a chat room; Hell I've sent the occassional text message or two. When I post, I always try to spell something correctly and I always try to use proper grammar. At the risk of sounding like an Old Guy (which I am), what I have noticed is that these kids today don't give a crap about spelling or grammar; at all. Teh is internet speak for the.....I guess it is easier to type teh than the????? Abbreviations are useful, but they get to be way too much at times. OMG IMHO LOL...... too much. It's like these kids have never heard of Proofreading.....at the airsoft board I post on alot, us Old Guys give the kids with horrible spelling and grammar major rations of crap. Some kid tried to type the word feel.....it came out Flet......???? Hello??? Proofreading is your friend. Or then they type a really long sentence like this that has no punctuation whatsoever even though they have finished the sentence and have gone on to another topic.........wow!!!! Punctuation is your friend too. They are also lazy when it comes to message boards. We get "Hey can you tell me when the next game is?" This is under General Discussion on the board. Right below General Discussion is a thread that says "Upcoming Games/Events". Hmmmm.....maybe the answer to the question is under there???? There is also a FAQ section entitled "Hey Numnuts, the information you are looking for but are too lazy to search for is Right Here". I love it. Guess what though, they still ask!?!?!?!?! Instead of searching to see if there is a thread for a particular topic, they post another one......multiple times!!!!! I would love to see these kids grades in school. Then they ask how do I do a spell check while posting. We have suggested to type your message board response in Word and spell check it there. I have also suggested two very important published documents that the internet is quickly making obsolete: The Dictionary and a Thesaurus. I remember in school being told "look it up" and being handed a dictionary. Hell you can go to dictionary.com and look up a word. I worry for myself and those I care about in our Old Age. We are cranking out a future generation of lazy, spoiled, illiterate, non-reading, can't spell morons who will be running our Country in 10 years or so. God help us......we will need it.


As if someone had heard me.....we get these morons who want to help perpetuate this spelling laziness....click on the blog title for the link.

No comments: