Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Is it just me?

Doesn't it seem like "science" is coming up with names for conditions that have been around for years?  Doesn't it seem strange that the only time you hear of the names for these conditions is in a commercial for the latest drug that is designed to combat this condition?  We have the new "disease of the year" called fiber myalgia(sp?) which sounds to me like a form of arthritis (joint pain, muscle pain....basically pain....).  It also sounds like the crap we go through when we get old and not so active anymore.    We also now have special yogurt that helps you become regular and the "culture" found in it is called Bifudus irregularus.....Really?  Is that for real?  Something tells me that's a name some Madison Avenue Ad Exec pulled out of his/her ass to sell more yogurt at higher prices.  All yogurt is the same......the regular Yoplait or Dannon that Kroger sells for 10 for 10 bucks is the same as the shit with "Bifudus Irregularus" but yet they charge more for less of the "BI" stuff.  My Wife drinks Ensures because it helps boost her energy and gives her the extra protein and calcium a Woman her age needs.  She takes Multi-Vitamins everyday but the Ensures really help.   The shit's pricy though!!!  I love how they beat us over the head to be healthy and eat right, but all the foods, etc that are available to help you do that cost an arm and a leg and shit like Kraft Mac & Cheese is dirt cheap.   I like living in a free market as much as the next Capitalist, but something's got to give here..... people want to do the healthy thing but you can't afford to.  Disclaimer: Before I get slammed with comments calling me a Fiber Myalgia Hater....It's not that I don't believe this condition is real....chronic pain is a reality for a lot of folks...Arthritis, muscle aches....but these are conditions that come with getting older (Hell I know when I squat down in the store to look at something on a lower shelf, I can't hold that position for very long without my knees aching.....).  My complaint is that these pharmaceutical companies are finding every excuse they can to market some "miracle drug" that they spent cash creating......so they can get folks to become dependent on it to cure their ailments. 

No comments: