Monday, March 29, 2010

The Death of the Video Store???

Apparently so.  I noticed that the two Hollywood Video stores in my area have Store Closing signs on them.  I just read an article to verify that yes, they are filing for bankruptcy and closing a lot of stores.  Their excuse?  Netflix and RedBox.  I didn't know this, but it seems that Movie Gallery bought out Hollywood Video (I thought they were just two different versions of the same place) and before they did this round of store closures, the Parent companies original stores, Movie Gallery, were the one's being closed first.  I don't think you can blame NetFlix or RedBox really.  It's the store management I blame.  They keep trying to shove this new "Powerplay" thing down your throat EVERY SINGLE TIME you go into the store and you literally have to tell them a dozen time "No, I'm not interested...thanks anyway."  I guess they were giving employees incentives to sign people up or something. Look, if I wanted to pay a monthly fee to rent movies I'd join Netflix.  Why should I pay a monthly fee to a brick and mortar store that I have to drive to and sometime come away empty handed from because what I want to rent isn't there?   So I pay you a monthly fee so you will lower your prices and then I get to keep the movie as long as I want........I have an idea, although it's obviously too late,  why not just lower your prices......See NetFlix charges a flat fee a month and not rental fee on top of that....you were trying to charge a flat fee plus a rental fee.   Bad idea.   If you want to really compete with the competition, Walmart them.   Walmart loves to sell the same item for 5 cents cheaper....Wii Fit Plus normally retails for 19.99...Walmart had it for 19.94.   Very deceiving....not really, it's a typical Marketing ploy.  People buy more things at 19.95/19.99 than they'd do at 20 dollars.  It's a perception thing.  They think they are getting a "Great Deal!!!" but after sales tax they really aren't.  Sad to see Hollywood Video going away, where else am I going to rent Wii games to see if I want to buy them or not??? Yeah I know, Gamefly, but I don't like paying monthly fees for crap I don't use that often.  It's too bad Corporations don't see the big picture sometime. 

No comments: