Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Take a seat Coach, you've earned it.

I was saddened to hear that John Madden had decided to retire from broadcasting this year. One of the formost authorities on the Game of Football, he added a much needed pizazz to the color commentary of each game. He and Al Michaels and Pat Summerall are some of my favorite commentators of all time. Howard Cosell may be a "legend" but truth be told the guy was kind of an ass. Joe Buck, the Nerdiest and most boring commentator ever, I could do without. I still remember your biased commentary during the Angels/Giants World Series schmuck boy. Blatantly obvious biased commentary too. As a Raider fan I barely remember Madden coaching my beloved Silver and Black. I do remember him being larger than life and not quiet when he was pissed. He would stalk the sidelines, chewing up the field. I don't think he ever sat still long enough to get an ulcer or anything like that. When he stopped coaching and became a broadcaster, that was when he truly shined. Many have teased about his "man crush" on Brett Favre or the way he would mumble streams of information while drawing on the screen and explaining the game he loves so much. Sad to see him go, but hey, he's earned it. Now if we can just get rid of Joe Buck.....

No comments: