Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Is it just me?

I guess somewhere along the line I became too practical for my own good.  I guess you can say I'm a cheapskate, or maybe frugal, depending on your point of view.   Is it just me, or does anyone else not really give a shit if your cell phone has a full keyboard and you can run shitloads of apps on it?  The device to me is a phone.  I like the camera on it, and I use mine alot.  The DC vacation pictures I posted here were taken by my cell camera.  I use it to take a picture of the row number where we park when we go out...that way you can always find your car.  If I see something in the store, a book, etc that I like but don't have the cash to buy it right then and there, I take a picture so I remember what it is when I can go buy it.  So that feature is fine by me.  It comes with most phones now and doesn't cost extra.  I like that.  If it did cost extra, then I'd get along without it.  I don't need a calendar function to set up appointments or to surf the net, etc so why do I need a full keyboard on my phone?  I don't have that urgent of a need to get online that I can't wait until I get to work or home or the public library to use a computer.  Besides, who wants to read crap on a 4-6 inch screen anyway?  I know some folks love their blackberry's, iphone's etc because they are busy folks who need access to crap now and want a small portable device.  Great for them, but not for me.  I've noticed that most of the phones coming out now have flip up panels to access the full keyboard.  Sorry, I don't text, and I don't care to text.  Especially because it costs extra.  In the immortal words of Gin Rummy on the "Boondocks" "I could have dialed the number, said what I needed to say and hung up again in the time it took you to type one line with your thumbs."   Have we become a society of non-human interaction?  Do we not want to talk to each other anymore.  You know TALK as in use your vocal chords, tongue, palate, etc to form words so you can get a message across or pass on information to another human being?  Would I text more if it was free?  Probably not.  The damn thing is a phone...it's used for communicating with someone.  The function I would love to have is the walkie talkie function.   I'd be able to push one button and connect to my Wife's phone instantly so I can say hey or give her info or whatever.  That would be handy....but I'm not willing to pay extra for it.  I just don't see unlimited internet, unlimited texting, unlimited downloading of songs, etc on a phone to be worth the money you pay for it.   The only phone on my account that has unlimited texting is my Daughter's.   She's 14 and apparently that's how all 14-17 year olds interact with each other...via words typed with your thumbs.   Yeah I know, I sound like that old guy, but seriously........I love the advances in technology, but I just don't see paying extra to use it.   Take cable for instance.   My old roommate and I used to have Digital Cable.  You had the box with it's own remote, but you couldn't tape one show while watching another unless you were willing to get a switch box.  Now they have DVR's that come with the digital cable boxes that have solved this problem, but back then they didn't have them.   We had a billion channels of crap....literal crap and maybe watched 15 of them...maybe.... One day we were talking and I asked "Do we really need this Digital Cable?  Do we watch any of this crap at all?"  We both agreed that the channels we watched the most you could get by just having extended basic cable.  We ended up getting that and cut our costs in half.  Honestly, why is HBO and Showtime a separate subscription anymore?  Starz, Cinemax as well? (Do those channels even exist anymore?)  HBO and Showtime are now irrelevant when it comes to being "movie channels".   The movie "The Dark Knight" has been out on DVD for rental and sale for a long time now.   HBO is just now showing it.   Wow...ooooo.....if you haven't rented it or bought it by now, then you are just not interested in that kind of movie so why pay a subscription to see it.  HBO and Showtime should just become commercial cable channels like FX, etc.  Sure they have some great series, but there is a time of night where you can show adult content type shows...simulated sex, language, extreme violence....and not have to worry about the censors.  Who watches shows when they air anyway?  Most shows are DVRed or taped (yes I still tape shows.......DVR's aren't something you can just buy in the store, and you have to have a subscription to them monthly....).  On that subject, why don't they just sell DVR's that you can use to just record shows on?  I don't care about pausing live TV or having it suggest shit for me to watch based on my viewing habits, etc.  I just want to cue it up to tape a particular show(s) on particular evenings so I can do other crap with my life but still watch some TV.  Hell I'd buy one of those DVR's.   As it is, I have a VCR that I still use to do one thing: Tape shows so that I can watch them later.    DVR's do that, but they do all kinds of other shit too and because they do you need to not only pay for the DVR, but a monthly subscription to whomever the company is that provides you with the ability to pause live TV, etc.  I just want to tape a damn show......why should I pay a freaking subscription fee to do that?  I may need to go to Target and stock up on blank video tape......it may not be around much longer.   The tech I'd like to have in my house, and when we get our laptop back from being fixed we will probably get it, is a wireless network.  That's actually handy. 

No comments: