Thursday, June 01, 2006

Provident Marketplace

This is the retail facility going in near my house. Kind of the reason we bought where we did. Bring on the sprawl I say. Makes it feel like home. It's nice to have all of this a 5 minute drive from the house, and not pay some huge price to live there. The house costs us 130,000 and probably has doubled in price because of this retail facility. Plus behind the retail are 7 new housing developments all with a central theme. 7 unique neighborhoods, each by a different builder ranging in price from 140,000 to if you need to ask you can't afford it. When it's all done it's going to bring so much tax revenue into this little town I live in it will feel like the Peninsula. Living in a State with no State income tax, towns need to rely on sales tax revenue. When your town has nothing but banks, mortgage brokers and real estate agents, you get very little sales tax revenue. There are two major restaurants and one hotel that used to help with that. A handful of fast food, a buffet and the nasty Waffle House. I remember hearing so many people complaining that all of this retail was coming in, but I could tell that the City Council has been needing cash for years because there are signs all over town that say "Buy Mt. Juliet First." The nearest mall is an Outlet mall 12 miles away (not a huge selection) and the Hickory Hollow Mall about a half hour away. For those that live in my old stomping grounds think Hillsdale with a criminal, thug element. Typical mall, tons of punk ass kids roaming around not buying anything but causing fights, car jacking people in the parking lot, etc. Happens to be in the town of Antioch which is considered East Nashville, kind of like Oakland Light....also where I work. Mt. Juliet's City Council finally got smart and courted this development. Since the opening of 5 of the many stores and restaurants that are coming in I bet the coffers are overflowing. I know I've spent my share of cash at Target, Petsmart and Best Buy. Hell I helped my neighbor carry a large HD flat screen TV into his house the other day. Cha ching I say. To the bitchers and whiners I say this: if you want to live in the sticks with nothing around you, then get the Hell out of the suburbs of Nashville. Hell there are plenty of places in this State that are BFE......I'm helping to make it more like San Carlos or San Mateo personally.........

No comments: