Monday, June 04, 2007

Language

So for the last couple of days while driving around I've been listening to the Audio Book by George Carlin called "When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops?".  Yes the fact it was a book by George Carlin (one of my favorite comedians) coupled with the title made it so I had to buy it.  I've listened to it once through before and it's damn funny.  He has several sections on euphemisms.  Basically he rants on about PC language and how we as a people are constantly trying to upgrade ourselves by changing our language.  One of his examples is a Store Clerk.  You know, what my Wife does for a living right now.  She works at Ross.  She is not called a Clerk, she is called a Sales Associate.  I loathe our PC-ness in this Country.  It's gotten out of hand.  Folks are no longer Handicap but Differently Abled.  WTF???  So I guess those aren't handicap spaces but Differently Abled spaces????  Black became African-American, Mexican became Latino.....it used to be Hispanic a much more generic term for people from Spanish Speaking Countries.  Oriental (which was always stupid and didn't make sense) became Asian.  Much better (see some of these changes are really corrections...that's good) as Asians come from Asia....not the Orient...there is no Orient it's an Ancient term for the continental area known as Asia.  Garbage companies are now "Waste Management" companies.   It's the same thing.  Why the correction?  The guy that pumped your gas (which doesn't happen anymore, but trust me it used to) went from Service Station Attendant to Petroleum Transfer Engineer.  Really???  Engineer implies that you have a degree in Engineering......I don't think that one with a degree in Engineering would be working at a gas station???? Instead of laying people off, companies now Downsize....of course that is too negative so it's now Rightsize.  It's amazing to me how we create words.  No other language does this.  Sure there is slang in other languages, but I don't think they create new words in say Spanish to make things more palatable to folks.  Put it this way:  If you screw up at work repeatedly and are more trouble than you are worth, they fire you.  Simple.  Of course it's referred to as "Being let go" or "Terminated" (I like that one....there's a list of people I'd like Terminated...but I digress).  Why do we do this?  Can't we just call things what they are?  When you dial Zero on your phone, you get an Operator.  Of course it's known as Directory Assistance now (but wait how can that be...I dialed 0 not 411????)  Honestly folks, if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, swims like a duck...guess what it's a Freaking Duck!!!!!  Not a Water Fowl.
 
 

No comments: