Tuesday, September 01, 2009

This is going to suck so badly....

http://thenextweb.com/2009/08/31/disney-acquires-marvel-4-billion/

As those that know me are aware, I'm a huge Comic Geek.  My childhood Super Hero is Spiderman and I was so glad the first two movies didn't suck, but was really disappointed in the last one.  Comics way back when were a great thing, until the '90's.  Those that remember Comics in the 90's will remember that they had become an investment.  Apparently folks in the 90's were looking for that quick investment that no one else had...thus the over abundance of Baseball Card Stores and Beanie Babie stores.  Comics were coming out with 6 different covers with foil and glitter and glow in the dark and you had to put them in plastic bags with a carboard backing so they wouldn't get wrinkled, and God Forbid you actually opened one up and read the damn thing!!!  What ended up happening is summed up by a quote from Stan Lee (one of the Marvel Founders) "We almost killed the Comic book industry with our fancy covers, etc.  We stopped writing books for entertainment and started cranking out crap for investment purposes."  Yes you did.   The company delcared restructuring bankruptcy and Marvel Studios was created to make quality movies.  There were a few movies that had come out over the years and they sucked big time.  Then came X-Men, Spiderman, etc and they were actually good.   Apparently after two sucky Hulk movies and various other failures...see Fantastic Four and Spiderman 3....the crap has hit the fan and Stan Lee is selling out again.  Yep The dreaded Mouse has bought Marvel!!!!!  Oh my God!!!!!  I can't tell you just how much that is going to suck.  I can see it now...Spiderman's new love interest will be Hannah Montana!!!!

1 comment:

Steve T. said...

I agree with you on the level of suckiness of the movies besides the obvious ones..X-Men and the First Spiderman(although the 2nd wasn't that horrible but the third was a dud). DD, Elektra, FF and Ghost Rider really pissed me off...especially Ghost Rider as I am a fan of the new Danny Ketch GR who somehow has morphed back into Johnny Blaze.....Iron Man was awesome and the Cap and Avengers movies should be good....not sure about Thor but we will see. Yes Disney is the powerhouse of Distribution, the only real reason Steve Jobs and Pixar ever got into bed with them, I just forsee a pussification of a lot of it....I know why they did it...Disney has no male audience anymore. All the Disney Channel shows are geared towards Teen Girls. I've basically ignored the comic division as this whole Ultimates Reset just to make the comic stories tie in with the films has annoyed the crap out of me.