Wednesday, August 15, 2007

America, Monkees and Jim...

The other night Cath and I were strolling around the shopping center near the house after finishing a somewhat disappointing meal at O'Charley's when we decided to stop in at Best Buy. Kind of like Friday's for my friends back home where we don't have O'Charley's. We both ordered a 7 oz sirloin and we were brought something small and shriveled that was difficult to cut and a bit tough. We had a bad lunch experience at the O'Charley's inLebanon (with all the wars going on there no wonder.... ;) Just kidding, I mean Lebanon, TN) where the waitstaff basically disappeared and customers were sharing their butter with each other and getting their own silverware off of other tables.....needless to say (too late I've just said it) we got our meal for free. Anyway, back to the story. We stopped in at Best Buy because we've been having conversations lately about Music. Thus our impulse purchase of a Monkee's DVD. You don't hear that much of the old 60's 70's stuff anymore, you know the stuff that used to be Classic Rock which has now been replaced by Ac Dc and Rush....odd that these bands are "classic" now. Rhino Records has been doing their best to preserve old stuff for years. Odd things, I have the double CD Dr. Dementos Greatest Hits.....ah the good Dr; I wonder if he's still around. Looks like a job for Wikipedia later. We picked up three great CDs. America Greatest Hits (gotta love Horse With No Name....but I've always wondered....you're in the desert with nothing to do....Name the Damn Horse already!!!), Essential Monkees and Jim Croce's Greatest Hits. God I'm loving this stuff.

2 comments:

Steve T. said...

Not only was he the only musician, but he was often at odds with Don Kirschner because he wanted to play his songs that he wrote for the band on the show and Kirschner was looking out for Screen Gems who owned the show and made money off of Kirschner's songs....makes me wish my Mom had created White Out.....

Kenny said...

Michael Nesmith was not the only actual musician of the Monkees. Peter Tork played in Greenwich Village with all the other folkies and Mickey Dolenz had been the drummer in a couple bands before joining the Monkees. Davy Jones was the only member who hadn't been a musician previously - just a singer. I guess you can tell I'm a real Monkees fan!