Thursday, August 16, 2007

Outsourcing or The Pit and the Pendulum

As predicted by my friend Brian, and I agree with him, all of this affirmative action crap is coming back to bite us in the ass.  Remember before NAFTA (henceforth known as BN) when you used to hear the statement "Look for the Union Label.  Made with pride in the USA."?  Remember when a Corporation would be committing PR suicide by pretty much having their entire product manufactured outside the US?  Oh, it was okay to have a few parts made elsewhere, then shipped here and assembled here, but not the entire thing!  This was all BN.  Then came an idea that looked good on Paper.  Why not have open trade between Canada, the US and Mexico?  We are all on the same damn Continent so why not share the wealth with each other.  Heck, if we did this it might make Mexico's economy just as good as ours that their people would stop sneaking across the border to "take American jobs"?  There was a loophole that alot of people didn't see (myself included); Services were also considered trade able as well.   In come the Corporate number crunchers saying...."Hey Mr.. CEO....what if we move our Factory to Mexico?  There the workers will work for half the wages and we don't have those pesky US Labor Laws to deal with nor do we have Unions to contend with....just think of your profit margin?"  Somewhere in the time period of AN "North American" ended up including China and India.........now you are having Customer Service handled by someone in Bangalore who speaks heavily accented English and has no idea about how to handle the average American.  You have items being manufactured in China, or at least ingredients etc, where the costs there are rising so the Chinese Corporations are cutting corners like their American counterparts and we now on the back swing of the sharp pendulum.   Cats and Dogs dying of kidney failure because a Chinese Corporation "got a deal" on wheat gluten used in the food they manufacture for a Canadian Company that sells their goods in the US.  The wheat gluten was "bad" but it was such a great deal that no one questioned it.  Nice.  I guess we Americans have shown the World one thing; that's how to cut corners and be cheapskates.  Now we come to the latest fiasco from our Chinese partners; Mattel and unsafe toys for kids.  9,000 toys have been recalled because they were manufactured in China with paint that contains lead and magnets also made of lead.   The head of the Corporation that made the toys has committed suicide; apparently like in Japan the only way to deal with bringing shame to the "family" (they consider the Corporation "Family") is by taking your own life as a consequence.  Hmmm....makes you wonder.  If it was required of these CEO's a members of the Board of American Corporations to kill themselves when their insidious business practices go awry, would the amount of Outsourcing decrease?  Bet it would.  For my part, I try not to shop at Wally World....I really try not to.  If I do shop there, it's to buy stuff that is made here.  I've discovered that they sell a crapload of automotive products that are a dollar cheaper than your average "Kragen" type store and have more selection.  I like to put synthetic oil in my cars.  It's not made from oil, so therefore I'm not using as many petroleum products as I used to, and therefore sticks to the parts a lot better and there's always more of a coating on those metal parts in the morning when starting the car than there would be with conventional oil.  I delude myself that I'm "doing my part" but actually I am.  My car gets great mileage, so therefore I consume less gas in a week than someone with say a Cadillac "Behemoth".  But I digress.  Wal Mart is the biggest culprit in all of this.  They operate at somewhat of a loss but still make a profit.  Although the latest Wall Street report I read said that even Wally World is not making their quarterly earnings this time around.  Now that's scary.  The Moron loves to tell us the economy is doing fine while his Oil Company buddies have bent us over and rode us hard.  Hell they didn't even kiss us or buy us dinner first!  All of this is bringing the Anti-Alien sentiment to the surface to the point where more folks will start thinking the KKK has the right idea.  (God I hope it doesn't come to that....).  Better start stocking up on the Ammo and firearms my Friends.  If someone doesn't put a halt to this Outsourcing crap, or at least put some restrictions on it, there will be another Civil War.

No comments: