Thursday, September 27, 2007

Southwest Airlines: No more LUV in the Club...

Remember when Southwest was the "fun" airline? Remember when no matter where you looked they were the cheapest around. I didn't mind the plastic boarding passes or the "cattle call". I also didn't mind that families with small children or disabled folks got to get on the plane first. Hey I'd rather have the family of 4 with the two cranky kids all settled in and ready to go when I get on the plane. This way I can see where they are sitting and sit faaaarrrrr away from them. Recently the airline that used to make it's Stewardesses dress in hot pants (like sex symbols) kicked a Hooters Waitress off of one of it's planes because of her "booty skirt". Said it was too revealing. I've seen the pictures....it wasn't that revealing, and the woman offered to cover up with a blanket from the waist down while seated so she wouldn't offend anyone. They still kicked her off of the plane. Now Southwest (who's stock symbol is LUV) is doing away with preboarding. They say it's to get more business travelers. Oh really??? Business travelers want Business Class on a plane. They want a bit more elbow room and sturdier trays so they can open up the old laptop and finish that last minute proposal, presentation, etc. Ain't going to find that on the cramped ass Southwest plane. They aren't cheap anymore anyways. Lord I remember all the times I flew back and forth from Cali to Tenn to visit Cath (before we got married and I moved out here) and I very rarely used Southwest. I'd always check them first, they do have some great deals, but always ended up on another airline. From what I can tell, this getting rid of the preboarding is going to drive families away in droves. Why spend the money for Southwest when you can guarantee yourself a seat on another airline. And one where you want it to be.

No comments: