Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Three for the price of one....

So my favorite TV Critic Tim Goodman over at SFGate.com listed his "final" grades for the Network TV season. In alpha order I will give you mine.

ABC: Sorry I don't watch this network much, if at all. It basically has some of the stupidest shows on. "Ugly Betty" gets raves from the critics, but it just doesn't interest me. I was spoiled I guess growing up with Sitcoms like All in the Family, The Jeffersons, Chico and the Man, Sanford and Son, just to name a few. Those shows were funny, the majority of the stuff on TV now just isn't. I always thought Friends was stupid and I've never found an episode of Seinfeld all that funny. ABC also has Lost.......I just couldn't get into it. It makes no sense whatsoever. The plane crashes on a deserted tropical island. The plane cracks perfectly in half with the front half going to one side of the island and the tail going to the other. So instead of a scripted "Survivor" we get the wheel of random sci fi like crap. A Polar Bear?!?!?!?!? A hatch that leads to a secret underground facility with computers?????? They have technology, but can't seem to find a way off of the island. Sounds like The Professor on Gilligan's Island. He could build a radio out of two coconuts, but seemed incapable of building a damn raft!!!! Now ABC is airing the National Spelling Bee....WTF????? They are also bringing you Bingo. Yep.....Bingo. They will be bringing you a Sitcom based on the characters from the Geico Cavemen ads. Those things are funny for 30 seconds. Not sure if they will be able to pull off 30 minutes, every week. We have Desperate Housewives. A show that just helps the divorce rate climb if you ask me. Yep, if you are bored, rich and married, apparently it's okay to screw everything that moves. Nice huh? Then we have Grey's Anatomy. A soap opera disguised as a medical show. They actually really tried making it a medical drama at one time but the ratings got better the more Doctors they had having sex in empty hospital beds. Yeah right, Doctors on duty in an ER with time to have sex with each other...oh and don't forget all those empty beds in the hospital. Whatever!! F is the grade I give ABC.

CBS: The network most watched in my house. Even the local CBS news we watch. They did mess some things up this year though. I was liking the show Smith but it got killed after 3 episodes. The story telling was a bit disjointed at times, and I think that's what may have killed it. Jericho just pissed me off. Started off great but slowly frustrated the crap out of me with the inane scripts every week and the fact it started turning into a huge soap opera. Gahhhh. The Unit better get better next season, or it will be gone. I understand having storylines with the wives, great actresses and all, but after awhile it gets to be a bit much. Too much wives, not enough dudes with BDU's and guns keeping us safe from some terrorist or whatever. Starting to approach the Jumped the Shark borderline. Speaking of sharks, Shark is great. James Woods is one of those scene chewing actors who paces and gestures and generally approaches a scene like a fat man a sandwich. MMMM ham on rye anyone....? The Amazing Race is always a treat. I used to avoid Reality Shows like the plague, but this one is really fun. If I ever tried out for a Reality Show it would be this one. I can see Cath and I racing around the world trying to win 1 Million bucks. Survivor has run it's course I believe. It was fairly good this year, but it's gotten to be old hat now. CSI: The Original is the best of the bunch. The Miami one is a cop show, not a show about crime scene folks. The NY one is kind of the same. Just can't get into those. Without a Trace is a meh with me. If I miss it, I don't cry. Numbers is lots of fun. Really great characters and I have yet to see a bad episode. Ghost Whisperer or should I say Hi My name is Jennifer Love Boobit....look at my Ta Tas........can just go away. It's really lame. I'm not really sure why they cancelled Close to Home. A really good show but they canned it. CBS gets a B from me

NBC: All of a sudden I'm watching NBC again. Why? One word: "Heroes". Yes I know, I've said it before and I'll say it again (as many times as the Discourser has said it); Heroes is the best show on TV. Period. It's pretty much the only show I will watch on NBC. They get an A from me.


Fox and CW.....who cares????? American Idol is crap and it has made the programming folks at Fox too lazy to come up with anything else. All they depend on is that lame ass show. The CW(for those that don't know...lame ass UPN and WB merged into one really super lame ass network) just crap. UPN when it first started was fairly good. They had Star Trek the Next Generation and show's like Pig Sty and Platypus Man. Love those shows. Then they dumped all that, started Star Trek Voyager (honestly one of the lamest Star Trek shows yet) and made all of their sitcoms geared towards African Americans. Nothing wrong with that, just doesn't interest me.....not my culture, and frankly none of them were the least bit funny. They finally did it when they aired Enterprise. The Prequel to the Kirk Star Trek years. Problem is, the original Enterprise had better tech than the old and every week became a let's see just how big Jolen Blacloks breasts really are. It didn't help that the story lines were lamer and lamer as the show went on. When something becomes a chore to watch, I stop watching. Now the WB part of the CW used to have Buffy and Angel. I like Joss Whedon for bringing us Firefly, but could never get into Buffy or Angel. Remember Fox way back when? 21 Jump Street, Married with Children, Werewolf (loved that show), the Simpsons.........yeah I know the Simpsons is still on, but it's like the only thing on Fox worth watching. Now all they have is American Idol oh and 24, which has gone in the crapper this season. Remember when UPN had some cool shows too, besides Star Trek? Nowhere Man comes to mind. Loved that show too. Neither network deserves a grade....Hell an F is too good for them. Go away so we can get the massive reruns of Mash we used to have years ago.

No comments: