Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Geekness Abounds

If you've been reading the Supergoober's blog and are puzzled by the statements "I used all of my levels to Push my Strength" then you are not a true Geek.  I've had a few Geek moments myself in my posts and The Discourser has gone into great lengths about the varying types of Geeks to be found at the GGoG.  Geekness is fun.  Try it, you will like it.  I remember the Perfect Line telling me a story of when he and the Supergoober (before the SG had gotten married) were at a club and witnessing a guy trying to score with a hot chick only to get shut down.  SG whispered to the Perfect Line "I guess he fumbled his Charisma roll".   Moments like that speak to the true Geek in all of us.  We are all, to certain extents, Geeks.  When folks get into a hobby or sport, they become very obsessed with it to start with.  Learning all they can, be it from instructional DVDs to books and audio CDs, they try to become experts.  This is being a Geek. The average Joe Business Dude who takes Golf lessons from a Golf Pro and speaks "Golf" fluently.  He's a Golf Geek.  He may not look at himself as such, but he is.  Am I wrong?  Think about it.  This guy watches Golf on TV probably.  Goes to Golf Expos, visits Pro Shops all the time.  Is he any different than the GoG going to a Gaming convention and gaming???  The only differences is the social acceptability of his Geekness.  Yet, he is a Geek just the same.  Take the Woman who is very into Fashion.  She knows the hot Designers, what to where when and what not to where anywhere.   She speaks "Fashion" fluently.   She's a Fashion Geek.  It's all perspective.  My Father-in-Law is a Ford Geek.  He loves working on cars and really loves when they are Fords.  He speaks "Ford" fluently.  I consider my Wife to be a Scrapbook Geek.  She speaks it fluently.  She knows all the products, techniques, etc and where to find them.  She frequents Scrapbooking Forums online so she can compare notes with other Scrapbook Geeks.  See, being a Geek isn't so bad, once you realize that we are all Geeks in one way or another.  Some of us are just better able to pass for "normal".

1 comment:

Steve T. said...

Thank you Dan. I've always liked looking at things from other perspectives.....